Is it just me or do other people think that running 26.2 miles is just on the edge of crazy? Don’t get me wrong, I really admire people that have the discipline and drive to get in shape for a full marathon, and even though 26 miles just sounds sooo far, I would really like to participate in a marathon one of these days! But maybe a half marathon at 13.1 miles first.
I’ve been looking into marathons/half marathons that I might be interested in training for and realized while doing my research, that apparently not very many people think that a standard 26.2 run on the pavement marathon is nuts, I have found so many extreme marathons, all over the world. And when I say extreme I mean people are dying doing these marathons, granted it’s not a large amount of people, still people are dying. . . um yeah I think I’ll just keep my feet on the regular pavement and huff and puff through 26 miles. However if you love standard marathons or you are an extremist or a thrill seeker here are some of the most popular marathons as well as some pretty extreme but really cool sounding marathons to check out!
First one is familiar to me because it’s not too far from my house . .
The Death Valley Marathon/Half Marathon
- Death Valley is in the desert in southern Utah. The highest recoreded temp is 134 degrees. . . WOW that is hot, defiantly doesn’t get that hot in Utah often, but still the temperature down there in the desert gets pretty extreme
U.S. Airforce Marathon
- 13,000 runners gather in champaign Illnois for this one
Suntrust National Marathon
- In our country’s capital; Washington DC
Nike Woman’s Marathon
- In san Francisco California, 93% of the finishers are female. . . they hand out Tiffany & Co. neckalace at the finish line- um yeah make sense why there are so many woman doing this race!
Rock n Roll Seattle Marathon
- Obviously in Seattle Washington
- This beginner friendly marathon is held in Portland Oregon
Now for the extreme marathons;
- Held in Nepal at the base of Mount Everest. Starting at 17,000 and heading downhill from there.
Great Wall marathon
- This one sounds pretty cool. With 5,164 steps to climb throughout the marathon it qualifies as the marathon with the most amount of stairs, go figure, its held throughout the Great Wall Of China
And Last but not least!
The Polar Circle marathon
- This just sounds freezing, but also qualifies and the iciest marathon around.
Check these marathons out and get running! But if a full marathon is too much for you at this point then start with a free- half marathon just to get yourself somewhat ready for the real deal.
There aren’t many free marathons, but one that is free and is a half marathon for us starters is called Free Half Marathon (really clever name right? Ha) in Phoenix, AZ on February 16, 2014. . . Get training, that’s not too far off from now!
So about this time every year I try and brace myself for the amount of candy that will be laying around the house. I really have to mentally prepare myself . . .I have to tell myself not to gorge on candy before the trick or treaters even come! And then guess what I do it anyway . . . last year, the day after Halloween I found myself in bed watching 90210 with my kids candy buckets and way too many empty candy wrappers all over my bed. . . was I depressed you might ask. . Nope, just relapsing on way toooo much sugar!!!
This year I am making a sharing my “don’t gorge on candy list” if I share it with the world I have to listen to my own advice right?? Also I hope it is a good guideline for some of you as well.
- Only buy candy you don’t like. You won’t eat it before the actual day that the candy is for. Along the same lines, you won’t want to eat the left overs either-if there happen to be any.
- Pick out 2-3 pieces of candy from your kids buckets and only eat that candy. . . and no I don’t mean each kids bucket, I mean total, 2-3 pieces total!
- Send the rest of the candy to their dad’s house. . . . or if you don’t have the benefit of sending all the candy away then throw most of it away, seriously young kids don’t even notice, and older kids will hide the candy from you anyway if they know you are going to try and eat it. If you think that is it brutal to throw away kids candy then you probably should think more about your kids’ health than helping their sugar addiction right?
- Whatever you do don’t hide their candy buckets in your bedroom or closet to regulate how much of it they eat. YOU WILL END UP IN BED WITH THE CANDY!!! And believe me that never ends up pretty! And it’s not worth it!!
Hope this helps some of you ladies regulate your Halloween candy intake!!
Meal planning is a genius idea however it’s something I just forget to do every week. And believe me it’s my least favorite thing to forget to do! When I remember, and do take time to make a meal plan for the week I save money on my grocery bill, end up with less crappy food in the house after going to the grocery store, and spend less time in the week hopelessly staring in the pantry waiting for a bunch of random ingredients to turn into other ingredients that actually go together in a meal. As much as I wish I could say I have had better ideas for meal planning than anyone else out there trying save themselves the blank pantry stare, I definitely haven’t, so I continue to look at Pinterest and other blogs to get ideas to make it easier and more fun- yeah right, but I can pretend/hope!
But as for my own tips on how to make meal planning easy and healthy here they are
Do some research
- Find healthy meals
- Check your own recipes
- Look around blogs. Here are two of my favs: Skinnytaste.com & Laaloosh.com
- If you don’t know if the recipes are healthy research the ingredients and find out if they really are healthy. It’s always a good thing to learn more about the things we are putting in our bodies!
Put a list of recipes together
- I only do 5-6 at a time. I don’t want to put a whole month of recipes and a grocery list together in one day, its overwhelming for me, so just tackle what you can at once.
- Give yourself one night to be left over night, and one or two nights a month to go out to eat-depending on your budget for food.
Make a shopping list
- Don’t buy anything that isn’t on your list!! Only ingredients for your planned meals and staples. For example, some of my staples are milk, oatmeal, cottage cheese, fruit, and veggies ect. . . . not Twinkies and pop tarts and corn dogs. . . those should not be staples!
- Sticking to your list will save you money but more importantly you will save calories when you try to grab a Twinkie out of the cupboard and it’s not there so you have to eat an apple instead. . . good idea right!?!
Cook as much of the food as possible ahead of time at the same time.
- If you are cooking three meals with chicken that week, cook all the chicken at the same time. It won’t take much longer to cook three batches of chicken at the same time than it will to cook one batch of chicken
Buy a lot of good Tupperware and always have different size zip lock baggies around!
- Having this stuff around will help with storing pre cooked food, pre portioning meals for the upcoming week, and saving left-overs for lunches and left over night
If you don’t have time to collect all the recipes and make a grocery list yourself, or you would just rather pay someone to do the work for you here is a blog post about a website that does just that. . .don’t we love technology that does the hard work for us?? I know I depend on it most the time!
Check it out: http://www.domesticimperfection.com/2013/09/meal-planning-made-simple-how-emeals-saved-my-sanity/
And by lazy I mean all the important time you spend sitting on your butt, looking at Facebook, Instagram,Vine, Youtube. . . You get the idea, we all know that list goes on and on! But one that is actually a great resource for great short workouts, healthy eating, and motivational quotes is Pinterest.
I love all the health, nutrition, and fitness links I can find on Pinterest. . .and when I’m not caught up in the other cute craft posts next to the “10 min workout you can do on your bedroom Floor” posts I actually try the workouts, and occasionally the healthy recipes, but I do get motivated to be healthy and loose weight when I see all those motivational quotes, but mostly when I see half naked girls with ridiculously skinny, toned, tanned bodies! I want that body and seeing someone else with it makes me want it more!
I recently posted a link to “5 things that will help stop sugar cravings”. Because I’m always trying to limit the amount of sugar I eat and it never works. . Mostly cause I have crazy withdrawals from quitting sugar. .I decided this post would probably be useful to me, and it has been!
Since there are so many people In this world with Sugar addictions like me, and that crazy sweet tooth I figured it could be useful to share!
Follow my other boards on pinterest!
It’s Friday! And today’s Fad Friday diet is. . .HCG! ( exclamation because it’s another on of those love hate relationships with me and HCG) I have done HCG 2 times, and lost a ton of weight both times. . . But let’s be honest; you’re eating 500 calories, no sugar, and more veggies than any normal person eats in a day. . .how are you not going to be just melting fat off your body? HCG is a hormone found in pregnant ladies, it basically feeds the unborn child the woman’s fat stores if she is starving. So if you feed your body only 500 calories a day your body thinks its starving, and then the HCG makes it so you body starts feeding away fat store calories, which are the hardest to lose ( for me anyway, and I think lots of girls have the same problem). Both times I expected to feel super hungry and for it to be real hard, since you have to spend time in the kitchen to eat as healthfully as you are supposed to eat while on HCG. Both times I did it I felt hungry and cranky for the first 2 days. . I’m guessing mostly from sugar withdrawals. . . The addiction to sugar is real, and I would be happiest strung out on sugar all day long! But then again if I were eating that much sugar all the time I’d be fat. . . And that would not make me happy!! Right? After the 2 days of adjusting to no sugar and 500 calories weight just stared to shed off my body, not to mention I got used to it,and it wasn’t all that bad. I liked doing HCG because I knew exactly what I was supposed to eat, so even though it took longer to cook my meals I always knew what I was going to be eating, which made it easier in some ways for me. . . This diet will help you lose weight if you do it right! However this is a quick way to lose temporary weight! Unless you make cooking chicken, and veggies every day part of your life permanently, along with cutting out all sugar, then you will put all of the weight back on